Fall in Love with the Lake Norman Golf Club Communities
Whether you’re personally an avid golfer, you have a spouse or good friends who are, or you’re just looking for an opportunity to buy a beautiful home in a gorgeous, secure, upscale neighborhood where your family can enjoy all the benefits of a tightknit community surrounding them, the comprehensive list of Lake Norman Golf Club communities outlined below is sure to include at least one that matches your dream home location.
Since these communities exist all around Lake Norman, the list is split up into four general quadrants, each with the closest cities or towns listed to help you get your bearings.
The northeast section of Lake Norman
Incorporating southwestern Statesville, Troutman, and most of the city of Mooresville, the northeastern section of Lake Norman’s shoreline includes a diverse geography and equally diverse collection of communities, parks, green spaces, and scenic drives.
This area also includes several beautiful residential golf club communities, including:
- The Point in Mooresville - The Point community surrounds the exceptionally appointed Trump National Golf Club Charlotte. Along with incredibly designed homes built to meticulous standards, The Point also offers a long list of resident and golf club member benefits including over 18 miles of Lake Norman shoreline, five miles of scenic walking trails, 44 acres of dedicated green space, and a private general store/bakery.
- River Oaks Fairways in Statesville - Located apart from the busier southeastern shoreline, but still within an hour of both Winston-Salem and Charlotte, the Fairways at River Oaks in Statesville is perfectly placed to provide upscale luxury and comfort in a luxury community.
- Larkin Golf Club in Statesville - Located right near the crossroads of I-77 and I-40, the beautiful Larkin Golf Club Community is just minutes from the shores of Lake Norman, and just an easy day trip from nearly everywhere else in North Carolina.
- Mallard Head Country Club in Mooresville - Combining the gorgeous views of the Lake Norman waterfront and the Mallard Head golf course with the convenience of its proximity to Mooresville and downtown Charlotte, the Mallard Head golf community offers nearly every option and activity you can imagine.
- Woodland Hills Country Club in Mooresville - Bordering the Mallard Head community, and sharing beautiful views of the Mallard Head golf course, Woodland Hills is much smaller, but no less grandiose, comfortable, and inviting.
- Muirfield in Mooresville - Unlike other Lake Norman golf communities, Muirfield wasn’t built around a golf course, but rather the sprawling Mooresville Golf Course - a public course managed by the city - surrounds Muirfield in a unique spiral. Despite its public and municipal status, Mooresville Golf Course is considered one of the most beautiful, well maintained, and challenging courses on Lake Norman.
The southeast section of Lake Norman
Including the southern end of Mooresville, the villages of Davidson and Cornelius and the growing city of Huntersville, the southeast end of the lake has become the go-to spot for trendy, upscale lake living that’s conveniently close to Charlotte and elsewhere for work.
Several gorgeous golf club communities offer unparalleled residential options, including:
- The Peninsula Club in Cornelius - Offering both waterfront and more secluded lots surrounded by trees, nearly all offering a glimpse of the Peninsula Country Club golf course, The Peninsula Club community of Cornelius is the epitome of upscale luxury living.
- Skybrook Golf Club in Huntersville - The lovely Skybrook residential community enjoys access to Skybrook Golf Club along with a swim and racquet club, a well-appointed clubhouse and restaurant, and a host of other amenities that make the luxury residential community that much more inviting.
- Northstone Country Club in Huntersville - Northstone surrounds the wholly private Northstone Country Club golf course, covering 219 acres of rolling hills and lush greenery. Exclusivity and the tightknit relationships it affords mark this Lake Norman golf community.
- River Run Country Club in Davidson - At this beautiful golf and country club community, “the living is easy and fun is always around the corner.” Known for extraordinary custom homes, world-class golf and tennis, and a unique lazy river surrounding the olympic pool, River Run is a cut above many other residential options.
- Birkdale Golf Club in Huntersville - While the Birkdale community and golf club are both incredibly beautiful and can match any community in the area for amenities and upscale lake living, it’s best known for the sprawling shopping and dining Mecca across the street, Birkdale Village, where over 60 stores, 10 restaurants, a 16-screen theater and more combine to offer endless opportunities to residents and visitors alike.
- Highland Creek Golf Club in Charlotte - Although the Highland Creek community is a full 20 minutes from the shores of Lake Norman, it’s earned its place on this list by becoming the gold standard for planned residential golf communities in the greater Charlotte area. One of the largest such communities, Highland Creek is home to over 13,000 people and functions almost like its own small town.
The southwest section of Lake Norman
Moving over to the “quieter side of the lake” on the western shores, you’ll find the large town of Denver along with numerous small hamlets and waterfront communities.
Along with a number of public and private marinas and boat launches, the following waterfront communities hug the lake in this region:
- Cowan’s Ford Country Club in Denver - One of the oldest clubs and attached communities in the Lake Norman area, Cowan’s Ford was originally developed in 1963. Located on “the quiet side of Lake Norman”, Cowan’s Ford is well suited to relaxed, laid back lake living.
- Westport in Denver - Home to both the Westport Golf Club and the The Club at Westport (the community’s swimming, tennis, and fitness club), this gorgeous golf club community caters to the active resident with plenty of opportunities for fun social activities, members-only events, and other upscale amenities.
- Verdict Ridge Golf and Country Club in Denver - Among the largest of Lake Norman golf communities, Verdict Ridge covers a full 526 acres within the town limits of Denver on the quiet west side of Lake Norman. The golf course is often cited as one of the best in the area, and residents are within a short drive of nearly any kind of entertainment, shopping, dining, or other activity they could hope for.
The northwest section of Lake Norman
In the northwest shoreline area, the primary communities are Sherrills Ford and Long Island (part of the village of Catawba.) Although upscale residential communities, marinas, and other exciting recreational activities abound here too, there are currently no golf communities in this area of Lake Norman.
If you’d like more information about any of the Lake Norman golf communities listed here, we encourage you to explore the site further and contact us with any questions you have.
Other Golf Courses in the Area
Salisbury: The Revival Golf Club at the Crescent
This is an 18 hole championship par 72 Located 40 minutes from downtown Charlotte, or 45 minutes from Greensboro, take the drive on I-85. In 2001, GolfCarolina.com, a TravelGolf.com Publication, rated The Crescent Golf Club No. 4 on their Top 10 Best Values of Charlotte list saying: “John LaFoy designed the course, which winds its way through an old dairy farm and is as interesting and in as good of shape as anything you’ll find in Charlotte for the money.” Come see the newly revitalized course
Looking for Carolina Pines Golf and Country Club?
Unfortunately Carolina Pines Golf and Country Club is closing after 51 years. Reported in Febuary 2015
Joe Mospaw, a partner in Carolina Pines Golf and Country Club Inc. of Clarence Center, New York, confirmed that letters were sent out to members on Monday informing them of the closure at the end of the month.
“It was just the total decline in business,” Mospaw said. “There’s not enough golfers anymore.”
Carolina Pines Golf and Country Club is an 18-hole, par 72 championship golf course located in Historic New Bern, North Carolina. Nestled among the majestic pines and scenic waterways of the Neuse River, this course provides a unique challenge even the most seasoned golfer will enjoy.